Writing for God

Friday, June 15, 2012

Today's post comes from Anita at Scattering the Stones

' ...O LORD, you are our Father.

We are the clay, and you are the potter.'

Isaiah 64:8 NLT


I just love how God speaks to us in so many ways; whether it's directly through the Bible, through His creation, through inspiration from reading books, films, the list goes on and on. 

As I ask God to teach me His ways, He inspires me to write; as I listen to the whispers of my Father's heart through my journey with Him, I feel closer to my Saviour. 

I often carry my notebook with me, to help remind me of these God appointments, as He raises my head and says to me, 'share what is on your heart, for me...' 

Inspiration 

 

I prayed a long time a go, that my life would enable me to write about my experiences of Jesus' tender touch and the words He blesses me with.When you pray this, expect your prayer to be answered. God will touch your life, open the doors to experience new things, to mould you, and share His heart with those who are in need. 

'He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.

When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.'

2 Cor 1:4 NLT


Often when you post a devotion that was hard to write, feeling like your life is laid out bare for the world to see, God opens our eyes even more to the needs of those around us, as we read the comments from others saying 'me too...' 

A prayerful heart

 

Since my time at Bible college through the work He has called me to do, and through writing the devotions that God leads me to write, I have come to be very aware for the need for a prayerful heart. For there is a purpose in everything. God wants to reach out through the posts He lays on our hearts to reach others; who either don't know God - who are searching for answers to their own life situations, or to encourage other Christians around the world. This is why the importance of spending time with our Saviour cannot be emphasised enough! 

I have learnt that keeping a journal and spending time with God is essential for me to hear what God wants, and to give me strength when I need it the most; to not allow my ever changing feelings to cloud my judgements. As soon as I feel vulnerable or lost, my first call is to God - it has to be. 

Once we write a post it is there for all to see, as with our conversations online or offline the words we speak/write to one another, will be captured in a moment, and can have a long lasting affect.This drives home the importance of asking the Holy Spirit to examine our hearts and thoughts daily (Ps 139:1-2). 

Taking time out

 

We must not be afraid to take time out, to step away from the pressure we place on ourselves to 'get a post out there' for where our hearts are not right, so will also be our words. Often God calls us to be still in His presence and so we must heed His call, for He knows us better than we know ourselves. (Rom 8:27) 

What are we feeding ourselves with?

 

If we feel led to share God's love through our writing, we need to place our priority on our relationship with God. I am inspired by what Jesus said, 

'My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, 

and from finishing his work'

John 4:34 NLT


Over time, God will show us our own voice in our writing, as God uses us as His vessel to pour out His love to those who need His message. 

'The spirit of the Lord speaks through me; his words are upon my tongue.'

2 Samuel 23:2 NLT


What we listen to, read, watch will effect us, so let's feed ourselves with the things that bring glory to God. 

Understanding the role that pride can play, helps us to re-evaluate why we are writing, and who for; enabling us to focus on what God wants, not how many comments we may have, or compare ourselves with other writers. As we depend on God, the Holy Spirit will help us in our weakness. 

God's call

 

It is a privilege to be able to share what God places on our heart, a gift from our Lord. I am so blessed by the many Christian writers who share their love for Jesus through their blogs. I have grown to love writing for our Saviour, and my prayer is that what I share will help others see their worth in God's sight, as He is helping me. 

All I can do is breathe in the Word of God, and lay in those green pastures that He provides, and listen to the whispers of His heart. 


 

 

Please join me in prayer

Lord, we thank you that you are the potter, and we are the clay,
May our lives reflect the great love, mercy, and grace that we have received from you. 
Thank you that you have called us to write for you. 
May our thoughts, and the words on our tongues and through the words we type, glorify you. We give you our blogs, our ministries, that you have blessed us with. 
May your will be done. 
Please use us as your vessel to bless others through the message you place on our hearts. May our hearts and minds be renewed daily, as we feed on your Word.
Please examine our thoughts and show us anything you want us to change. 
Please continue to bless our writing, for you.
In Your name 
Amen  

'Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord.'

Psalm 150:6 NLT


Anita 

Thank you for reading my post today, I hope it has blessed you. Please share what inspires you to write for God. 


Video: Music - Breath - Kathryn Scott, Video put together by:

No comments:

Post a Comment