They Stubborn Heart

Friday, June 8, 2012

Today's post comes from Renee at Encouragement of Faith
Yes, I must admit that at times I can be stubborn, hard headed and reluctant to what some have to say or do.  Not only is it me, but I am married to one that is the same.  I also joke that I gave birth to one too.  I used to wonder where she got all her stubbornness from until I looked in the mirror and at her father.  I never use to be that inflexible in my life, but for some reason it has taken an edge for every year I get older.  I know you've heard the saying the older we get the more set in our ways we are.  But I have come to terms that God also installs a meter of awareness in us when it comes to knowledge of right and wrong.  Walking in His words have open me up to areas I would have before bended in order to fit in, instead of standing for what is right in His words. 
 He asks us:

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.   Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.”  Romans 12:2 (NIV)
  
As for my daughter, I have taken the good advice of Dr. James Dobson from Focus on the Family.  “Pray for your child each day that God will break the will, but not the spirit.”  (From his book “The New Strong-Willed Child” copyright March 2007).  That is good advice for all, I think Jesus wants us to all have good sense, but not stubborn sense.  But sometimes its our stubbornness that helps to guide us in God’s will not of our own.  I know on many occasions I felt the Holy Spirit at that moment telling me to hold ground and not give in.  Which put some people on the alert that I am being stubborn in their eyes.  When I am passionate of what God wants of me it comes across as stubbornness.  For me it’s the censors that set off in that moment and if it’s not in God’s plans for me I have to go with the flow of the direction He wants.  It’s hard for me to express my beliefs without looking like the person in the wrong at times.  I feel I must be obedient of what 
He asks of me. 
 In 1 Peter 2 (NASB 1995) it reads:  
“According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in fullest measure.
I look at it this way. I must do what’s right for me and my family because in the end I will have to answer to Him and Him alone.  If my stubborn heart is filled with nothing but His goodness I have nothing to change.  Except for the things that we all know is not right like getting your way every time when it comes to the TV, radio station, who is going to clean the house, feed the pet or daily task, I think you get the picture.  Those are things we must come to a middle ground with our spouse, children, family, friends and co-workers.  The next time you get into a conversation and stubbornness sets in think is it God’s will or mine that I need to apply to this situation?  You will know the difference.    

Let’s Pray
Jesus,
Give me a working heart filled with your knowledge to help me conquer those areas that need fixing when it comes to being stubborn.  Please show those that when I am passionate for you it is not of my will but yours.  Help those around me to see the difference between the two.
In Jesus name, Amen    

Thank you for taking the time to join me today on my guest post.  May God bless your heart and day with happiness and joy blessings,  RC

1 comment:

  1. If stubborness was an Olympic sport, i'd be a Gold Medal winner:-). I agree with age i am more aware. Loved the quote from Dr. Dobson. I think that is what God did for me.

    ReplyDelete