A Mission To Seek Him

Friday, April 27, 2012

Today's post comes from Lori at My Evident Faith

The bright blue sky was clear, allowing the sun one of its rare occurrences lately. It was a beautiful day, and the birds were singing and the daffodils blooming. Yet I still walked with my head down, my breath labored, and my mind dark. I felt alone, and I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders. Bills were piling up because I was ignoring them, my house wasn’t cleaned, and the only calm place I had was my crazy busy office. I hadn’t had a chance to visit friends or pray with anyone, outside of my normal church service. I was definitely feeling sad and uncertain. Where was God? Why was I feeling lonely and sad?


God says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jer 29:13, NIV)

This verse tells us that when we make God our focus, we will find Him. He is always there for us, always ready to embrace us.  When we make finding Him our purpose, we will finally find Him. Happily, knowing that we need Him is enough; He will push open the door to our hearts and fill us with His love.

Through Jeremiah God tells us to seek Him – and this means we must continue to seek him. It is our mission.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:17 we are told to “pray continually”.

This goes hand-in-hand with seeking God with all your heart. And again, it refers to our mission in life.
“Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take” (Prv 3:6 NIV)

Do you feel God’s love in your life? Do worldly worries sometimes overwhelm your conscious desire to spend time with God?

That happens to me so often that I have lamented about it several times in my blog. I have also heard other people express this. But I know those people, and I know their greatest desire is a closer walk with God. So why is it that we lose focus on our mission and let our heart’s desire go by the wayside?

Well, it’s a catch-22…

It is a situation that can’t be avoided even through logic… ie, imperfect humans love God & desire to seek Him, yet because we are imperfectly human, we allow the minutiae of life to carry us away from our mission.

But we are told, “let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.”

This encouragement is from Hebrews 12:2 (NIV) And wow, don’t we have so many things that hinder us in our walk and life? Sins that so easily entangle us?  You see? God knows exactly what pulls us from Him. He is fully aware of the fact that we are imperfect but yet He continues to love us!

The only aid to our imperfection is to continue, daily, to seek Him. Remembering our mission to do His will, we sometimes need to approach our mission like, well, a MISSION… No, He won’t require anything cloak and dagger – our only weapon will be our bible. We need to set an appointed time to read it daily. Then we will be armed with the word, His word, and we will be ready for battle. And because we truly are soldiers on a mission, we must remember that we need to check in and be in constant contact with God, only we won’t use a walkie-talkie, but prayer… prayer alone with Him each day, and prayer with friends and loved ones. You are not alone, and if you can’t reach out to the people in your daily life, remember this virtual world online where you can find friends who love Jesus like you do, and who will be happy to pray with you.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Let's Pray
I pray that you seek God in your life in all that you do. I pray that you create a schedule for your prayer so that you can find His peace. He wants you to be at peace, He wants you to feel joy. He created us to be holy, so that we can be with Him, and I pray that you and I both are closer to Him for the time we have spent here together right now.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment