Just Ask

Wednesday, April 25, 2012


Today's post comes from Starla at Keepin It Real
23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:23,24  NIV

I teach my girls not to be afraid to ask for anything.  Negotiate.  I tell them that doesn't mean that they will always get what they want, "The worst thing that can happen is you will be turned down or told no."  I myself was raised by the creed,  A Closed Mouth Don't Get Fed and in my 34 years of life, I have found that to be very, very true.  Now I raise my girls to apply this concept to their every day circumstances.  Whether it be asking the teacher for help with something that they don't understand, asking me if they can stay the night with a friend (a very brave thing for them to do because they go through a serious interrogation)asking permission to play their favorite computer game, etc...... you get my drift.  

My 11 year old daughter Dayna even went so far as to request a round table discussion to negotiate terms for a computer game that they wanted to play but had recently been grounded from because they were neglecting their chores.  My husband and I were so impressed by the way she went about this request that we agreed to give it a try.  You see, this is something that Dayna really wanted to do and she figured out a way to ask with a resolution.  I mean she had a written plan for their requirements and everything. There have been times when we have given them things w/o them asking but sometimes, I wait for them to ask even though I already know what they want.  God is the same way with us.  He knows what we want and He is ready to give it to us but if we don't ask, sometimes we don't receive.

Case in point.  Did you know that some hotels offer additional amenities that they don't necessarily advertise such as bathrobes, slippers, extended check out and things of that nature?  Just because you don't see it in your room does not necessarily mean that it's not available.  They only give them to the people that ask for them.  There are so many deals and opportunities that we miss out on simply because we don't ask for them.  I have negotiated lower rent, scholarships (basically free versus $100) for summer programs at our local college, daycare expenses for more than 1 child ($100 per week instead of $140 per week) and the list goes on and on.  I'm so glad my girls are no longer in daycare, that's for sure but I managed to save $160 per month by negotiating a.k.a. (asking).

In James 4:2  scripture says that you do not have because you do not ask (see full scripture below).   What does this really mean?  I will tell you what I believe it does not mean.  It does not mean that you will receive everything that you ask for.  James 4:3 goes on to say  When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. Ever done that before?  I know I have.  For the most part, I ask for what I want and I ask God if it be His will, In Jesus name.  I always ask in Jesus' name.  God knows me better than I know myself so I ask Him to open any doors that need to be opened and close doors that need to be closed regarding a specific situation.  You see, every day is an opportunity to be blessed by God but sometimes we miss out on those blessings simply because we do not ask to be blessed.  We may not know specifically what it is but we should still ask.  That's what I recently told my 16 year old daughter the other day.  Part of my daily morning prayer includes asking God to bless me.  Sometimes I forget and I may not always know how He blessed me, but I know that I should always ask.  

I have asked friends and family if they ever pray for themselves and more than half of them said no.  Why not?  They say they never think about themselves.  That is when I quote the scripture as best I can.  Enough to explain to them that God expects you to ask.  

Do you just ask?  Why or why not?

References:

2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.

3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.  24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment