He Holds Our Hand

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Today's post is from Dawn at The Most Perfect Gift

“The steps of a man are established by the Lord,
and He delights in his way.
When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong,
because the Lord is the One who holds his hand.”
Psalm 37:23-24

Several years ago, I was walking through the parking lot at work with a friend/colleague. As we were talking, we continued to walk up the pathway to our building. Somehow I stepped down halfway on the sidewalk and halfway on the grass and it launched me forward with such a force! All I can remember was being propelled forward while trying to keep myself from falling flat on my face! Eventually, my legs caught up with the top half of my body and I regained control. I was left feeling quite dazed and all I could do was laugh! You know that uncontrollable laugh were you laugh so hard you begin to cry and your sides hurt so badly?!!? I just love laughing like that and wish it happened more frequently! Anyway, my friend was confused as to what had just happened. She was thinking I did that on purpose! I laughed even harder imagining what I must have looked like!

This past incident came to my mind after I read today's key scripture. I got so excited because I could actually visualize the Lord Almighty right there grabbing my hand and catching me. 

Reading this scripture touched something deep inside me.  It was like I was reading it for the very first time even though  in the Bible, we read all throughout how God is always with us and he will never forsake us. We hear pastors preach it. We encourage our family and friends with this same truth and tell it again and again to our children. But we must remember to not become complacent to what the Word says. 

God is in control of all things. He is the One who establishes our steps and when we trust and surrender all to Him and live our lives according to His will, He delights in us! It's His plan and let’s not forget this and try to get out in front of Him. When we do that, we are not letting Him guide us down the right pathway. Instead, we are saying, “Hey, my way is better or I can’t wait for your direction.” Before we know it, we are so far out ahead of Him.

I can't recall how many times I have said to my boys, "Wait for mommy! Don't get too far ahead, stay where I can see you!" Every time my boys and I walk through a parking lot or cross a street I say, “Hands, hands” and immediately they know to grab a hold of my hand. This way I can lead them safely to the other side. Its the same with our loving Father. He is with us, leading us and when we fall He is there to catch us, to  hold our hand and to guide us. 

Let’s seek Him and trust Him and let Him lead the way!

Dear Heavenly Father,
So many times we try to do things our own way. Forgive us for thinking we can be in control and press it upon our hearts to ask You first in all things in what direction You would like us to take. We praise Your Holy Name just for who You are. As we trust in You, transform us into being more like You.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment