Let's Be Salt

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

This week's post comes from Dawn at The Most Perfect Gift
Last night when I called the boys to dinner my three year old immediately came running, "Dinner! Dinner! I'm hungry!" As I was getting the food to the table I noticed he was licking the top of the salt shaker. "Oh, don't do that." His reply, "I like salt!"

My 6 year old and I started talking about something and I didn't notice my 3 year old had gotten a hold of the salt. "Mama! Mama! Do you think this is enough?" Enough!?! It sure was! His fish now looked furry. He took a bite and by the look on his face I knew he thought so too.

After I de-furred his fish, I asked, "I wonder how they get the salt from the ocean? I mean, salt dissolves in water, right?" This led into a great dinner conversation and a little science experiment!

I grabbed a clear glass, added some water, then shook some salt in. Then we stirred. Sure enough the salt disappeared. So, I asked, "Well, we can no longer see the salt, but do you think the salt is still in there?" My 6 year old says yes and my 3 year old volunteers to taste it. "Yup, its salty and good!" I respond, "My goodness, you sure do like salt." Then I hear it in my heart, "You are the salt of the earth."
“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless." Matthew 5:13
"Hey, you know, in the Bible, Jesus tells us we are salt. Do you know how we are like salt?" Of course, being the silly boys they are, they start saying silly things and giggle. So I quickly told them what Jesus meant before I completely lost their attention. I'm not sure if they truly understood or if they even heard me.

Tonight, as I was putting them to bed, telling them no more talking its time to sleep, my oldest says, "Let's be like salt." Okay, so they probably didn't grasp the whole salt of the earth teaching, but I think from now on every time they grab a salt shaker they will remember something about, "being salt".

Let's Pray:
Lord, we thank you for giving us these every day opportunities to teach others about your word. Even though, at times they may not fully grasp the message at first, we know You can water those seeds and make them grow into a deeper understanding. Please place on our hearts today a reminder that we are salt. That we must preserve your word and add flavor by standing out from the rest of the world. 
In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment