Seek Wisdom

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Today's post comes from Dawn at The Most Perfect Gift
Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?” The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom. So God replied, “Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies—I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have! And I will also give you what you did not ask for—riches and fame! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life! And if you follow me and obey my decrees and my commands as your father, David, did, I will give you a long life.” 1 Kings 3:9-14

As a single mom I am the head of the household. I make all the decisions, do all the discipline, and take care of all the finances, the nurturing, the teaching and the guiding. I have come to realize I am a shepherd leading her flock. I have also realized in order to lead my flock I need guidance as well as wisdom. 

When I first became pregnant I can't tell you how often I heard, "Babies don't come with a manual." But in actuality, they do. We all do and it’s called The B-I-B-L-E. It is God's living word, our handbook for life and it is the truth because God cannot lie. It is living because what it says applies to us today as it did to those thousands of years ago. God will speak to us through His word and He will reveal things to us as we need to know them. He will give us the wisdom we need to make the right decisions. He will give us an understanding heart and discernment to know what is right and wrong. 

Just as Solomon asked for wisdom we should do the same in all things, whether it is for our family, our ministry, our enemies or our own lives. Seek wisdom by asking the Lord to allow the Holy Spirit to interpret His Word enabling us to understand it. We then must apply this wisdom in our daily lives and be obedient to what the Lord is telling us.  

For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:6

God not only gave Solomon wisdom, he also blessed him with things he never even asked for! God even went on to tell Solomon if he follows and obeys Him, He will bless him even more with a long life. 

If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. James 1:5

So dear friends, today let us seek and ask God for wisdom for He will make our paths straight!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, God gives wisdom and knowledge freely to those who ask. I'm so glad that the best things in life are free, all we have to do is ask to be wise enough to ask for wisdom. Especially when we face adversity.

    ReplyDelete