Roots That Run Deep

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Today's post comes from Dawn at The Most Perfect Gift

I love sitting on the swing on my front porch in the cool of the summer morning. There is something about the early morning that brings hope and peace to my soul. Perhaps its the promise of a new day, the starting over and God's mercy for another chance to get right what I didn't the day before. 

Many times my boys will come out and ask me what am I doing? I say, "I'm praying or talking to God." 

It is in these times where I feel God's love so much I just want to cry. His love and faithfulness is beyond my understanding and all I can do is praise and thank Him. He is my portion and my cup runneth over. 

This morning as I was sitting in my favorite place, a group of boys from the high school track team ran past my house. One by one I wondered, do you know Jesus? I asked God to bless each and every one of these boys and prayed that they know Him. I wondered where are their roots and how deep do they go? My thoughts turned to my own boys. Will their roots run deep so they can stay strong in the Lord all the days of their lives? 
I was reminded of a message a guest speaker spoke at my church a few weeks ago. Her message was on exactly just that. We must have strong roots that run deep so when trials come we may bend, but we will not break. We need to be so rooted in Him and His Word that we are able to walk through the storm with Jesus Christ and declare victory when we get to the other side. 

"Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude." Colossians 2:6-7 NASB

Many times I have thought I wish I had tunnel vision and all I could see was Jesus. This way nothing in this world could distract me from keeping my eyes fixed on Him.

I love the words from the hymn, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His Glory and Grace.”

As Christ followers we need to feed ourselves daily with His word and encourage and build each other up. As the body of Christ let’s not be weak, but strong with roots that run deep.  Are you with me?

Heavenly Father,
We come before You today, Lord with praise and thanksgiving in our hearts for who You are. Help us to keep our eyes fixed on You and not on the things of this world. You are our hope, our salvation and our shield. Renew our spirits, Lord that we may be obedient in reading Your word and getting closer to You so that our roots are deeply planted. Help us to stand strong during the storms of our lives that we may glorify You.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment